We open our rehearsals to prospective members each September. There are no auditions to join. Rehearsals are two hours long, once a week. Day-long Rehearsal Retreats are held twice a year.
How to Join
• Open rehearsals for 2020/21 season will be every Tuesday in September 2020.
• Open rehearsals:
All Soromundi members (both new and returning) must attend at least 3 out of 4 open rehearsals to be part of the choir.
• Please email email@example.com for more information.
• If any sort of emergency prevents you from attending September rehearsals, please contact the Membership Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss your situation.
• This is the time for new folks to decide if the choir is a good fit — come try it out! At the end of the open period, choir membership will then close for the season so we can start learning our music together for upcoming concerts.
• Basic membership dues are $225 per year, $25/month for 9 months, or $18.75/month for 12 months. This amount covers all membership costs e.g. music, retreats, song selection (the only additional cost for new members is a Soromundi t-shirt). No one will be turned away for inability to pay.
• Chorus members arrive with a variety of musical skills. Some read music, others don’t.
• We learn our songs using a variety of traditions — from sheet music to oral tradition. You will find out which way works best for you.
• We don’t require any special skills in order to join us, but be prepared if you are new to music and/or choral singing, that you will need to commit to learning the repertoire in whatever way you need.
• We ask that members attend all rehearsals and the two scheduled singing retreats, as well as sectionals that are scheduled several times a season as needed.
• We strive as often as possible to perform without holding written music; it allows us to better connect with the audience.
• Chorus membership is open to anyone over 18 who identifies as a woman. We welcome members of all orientations, races, ethnicities, abilities, economic statuses, and religions. We embrace a broad definition for self-identified women which includes lesbian, straight, bisexual, cisgender, transgender, and intersex women, individuals with non-binary gender identities, and gender expansive individuals who find home within women's spaces. This can include gender non-conforming, agender, two-spirit, butch, femme, and many other identities. We intend this membership definition to be as inclusive as possible while honoring and reaffirming our history and identity as Soromundi Lesbian Chorus of Eugene.
• Our rehearsal space is open a half hour before rehearsal starts, and often members get together after rehearsal for a bite to eat.
• Rehearsal time itself is extremely valuable, so be ready to sing! We learn and improve when we're focused and keep extraneous talking to a minimum.